Self-love has a huge role to play to make our lives happy and meaningful, build confidence and self-acceptance.
However, the concept of self-love is much abused – it doesn’t mean accepting yourself as it is – this is an excuse to get away with all our unhealthy and toxic habits. Self-love involves introspecting – acknowledging our mistakes and consciously working on improving ourselves continuously.
- Self-Love means prioritizing our dreams and trying new things and experiences to make your life more rich
- It involves saying no to things, which you disagree with or those which fails to fit with your own plans – you don’t have to do something just coz others are doing it.
- Self-love involves a strong decision to spend your time with only those people, who always motivate, encourage and support you.
- Self-love doesn’t mean being stubborn – it also allows you to give concession to others and doing things to make them happy as you no longer feel threated if you aren’t in control.
- It means loving yourself despite how you look with all your flaws– fat, short, acne, bad hair, bad teeth, complexion– but at the same time, respecting yourself so that you make wholesome choices and live healthy – ie do not abuse your body.
- When you truly love yourself, you do not bother about competing with others on silly things
Here are some of my favourite quotes on self-love. Hope you find some inspiration!
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Give yourself a kiss. If you want to hold the beautiful one, hold yourself.” ~Rumi
- Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” ~Lucille Ball
- “You can’t build joy on a feeling of self-loathing.” ~Ram Dass
- “Love is the great miracle cure. Loving ourselves works miracles in our lives.” ~Louise L. Hay
- “When we give ourselves compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives.” ~Kristin Neff
- “Accept yourself. Love yourself as you are. Your finest work, your best movements, your joy, peace, and healing comes when you love yourself. You give a great gift to the world when you do that. You give others permission to do the same: to love themselves. Revel in self-love. Roll in it. Bask in it as you would sunshine.” ~Melodie Beattie
- “Do not speak badly of yourself. For the Warrior within hears your words and is lessened by them.” ~David Gemmell
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.” ~Oscar Wilde
- You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” ~Buddha
Which is your favorite quote on self-love? Do share with us.