Dark underarms or discoloration of underarms is a common problem faced often by women of almost every age group. I receive numerous requests to develop products to help reduce underarm pigmentation. However, this issue can be easily treated at home using some simple natural remedies.
Before we look at the remedies, I’m sharing some common causes for dark underarms:
Cause 1-Application of Artificial Deodorants and Antiperspirants
Few of the ingredients/chemicals present in artificial deodorants and antiperspirants react with the underarm skin and cause discoloration. You should opt for natural alternates like alum or our deodorant cream range.
Shaving cuts off the hair from the surface of the skin leaving the root intact. This leads to a dark tinge under the skin. To prevent this, you should try out other options, like plucking or waxing to get rid of the complete hair root.
Cause 3-Formation of Dead Cells on the Skin
Darkening of armpits also is a result of dead cells trapped in between the creases of the skin. It is important to exfoliate underarms daily using a stiff brush or a loofah.
Cause 4- Medical issues like Acanthosis Nigricans / hormonal imbalances
Acanthosis Nigricans, hormonal issues or excessive weight also cause black or brown pigmentation on your neck and armpit areas. Losing weight and maintaining a good diet can help control it to an extent but it is always a good idea to consult a doctor.
Home Remedies to get rid of dark underarms
Mild acidic property possessed by potatoes make them a perfect natural bleaching agent. Moreover, potato does not irritate the skin.
How to Use
- You should cut a thin potato slice and rub it on the underarm area
- Alternatively, you can grate a potato and apply its juice on the affected area. Let it dry for 15 minutes and finally, wash it off.
- Frequency- 2-3 times a day
Remedy 2- Cucumber + Lemon
Like potato, cucumber also has natural bleaching properties to help in lightening of discoloured skin.
How to Apply
- Grate and extract cucumber juice and mix it with lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder. You should apply this solution on the armpits and leave for half an hour.
- Frequency: 2-3 times a day
Remedy 3 – Baking Soda
Baking soda (meetha soda / cooking soda) is an effective skin lightening agent as well as a scrub.
Please note baking soda is not the same as baking powder.
How to Apply
- Make a thick paste of baking soda and water and apply onto the armpits and scrub in circular motion for 1-2 minutes. Leave the paste on for another 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water
- Frequency – once a day
I hope you find these remedies useful.
If you have any other tips up your sleeve, do let me know